Can I get an orthodontic chin cup if I am pregnant?

You can usually wear an orthodontic chin cup while pregnant. Before undergoing any orthodontic work during pregnancy, talk to your orthodontist.

Pregnant women are particularly susceptible to gum disease, and women with gum disease are more likely to have premature babies. Proper dental hygiene is a key factor in maintaining gum health, and a chin cup is unlikely to hinder your ability to keep your teeth clean.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
An orthodontic chin cup is a orthopedic appliance used by the orthodontist to help correct mandibular prognathism in adolescents. Its use in adults would probably not be indicated because it works by restricting growth of the mandible (lower jaw). If your orthodontist has prescribed chin cup therapy for you it should not have any effect on your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...