How can I help my child feel comfortable wearing a wire dental retainer?

You can explain to your child that the retainer is the last step in the orthodontic process, and that the retainer will keep his teeth in the correct alignment after all of the hard work of having braces is done. Unlike braces, which were likely visible on the front of your child’s teeth, a wire dental retainer is glued behind the teeth so it’s largely invisible. That’s a big advantage, as well as the fact that your child can eat, drink, and sleep with the wire dental retainer in place.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...