Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?

Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musical instruments. Some instruments that may be harder to play are trumpets, trombones, French horns, or any of the brass instruments, as well as clarinets, oboes, flutes, or any of the woodwinds. In the first little while after you get braces, you may experience mouth soreness or canker sores while your mouth gets used to playing with them. But in time, it is possible to adjust with practice.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
The best way to know if you need braces is to have a consultation with an orthodontist. At your firs...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontic treatment is important for several reasons. Alignment of the teeth and jaws can prevent ...