Are braces magnetized?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, titanium, and stainless steel. Although there have been various auxiliaries (add-ons) that have used magnets to move the teeth, to my knowledge there have never been any brackets that are "magnetized". Stainless steel brackets are the only ones I know of that are attracted to magnets.

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Braces are not magnetized. They are usually made of stainless steel or porcelain composite. There have been orthodontic appliances made that use magnets as part of their "force system" but these are rare and not widely used. Using magnets can be advantageous because they provide a constant force without any springs or metal wires. However, it is difficult to control the direction of the force. And thus, it is difficult to control the movement of the teeth. Proper orthodontic movement requires a constant force on the teeth, but it must be controlled in order to get the desired movement.

Braces are not magnetized because they are made of non-magnetic material. This does not pose a problem for MRI scans, metal detectors at the airport, or any type of magnet.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
What dental problems can a bad bite cause?
Correcting a malocclusion (bad bite) can result in better oral health because crooked and crowde...