Are braces affordable?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and the fee for a screening (1 hour), the procedure (30 minutes), and one follow-up visit (15 minutes) was $4700. Three visits (1 hour 45 minutes)! The typical orthodontic case takes 24 months plus at least 12 months of retainer checks. During the 36 months, you will normally see the orthodontist about 20 times with over 10 hours of treatment time. The average treatment fee for the 36 months is around $6000. The ophthalmologist we used did not offer payment plans. Most orthodontic offices will finance you treatment in-house over the course of your treatment without interest! Orthodontic treatment is one of the most affordable medical procedures available today!

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Affordable is a relative term, but most orthodontic offices will offer payment plans with no interest and spread the payments over the course of the treatment. Usually, this will bring the monthly payments into "affordability" for most patients, or parents. There are also third party financing options that can extend your payments beyond the treatment times and bring down the monthly payment even further. Check with your local orthodontist to see what type of financing they have available.
Although many dental insurance plans do not cover braces or any type of cosmetic treatments, orthodontics can be very affordable. Although prices vary between regions in the United States, treatment may cost anywhere between $5,000 to $8,000. Treatment times may vary as well, lasting as little as 9 months or up to 3 years.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...