Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?

If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. These rinses and mouthwashes are not recommended for children or adolescents because they contain alcohol (ethanol). Some antimicrobial rinses might be okay for children to use if they are alcohol-free. Look for rinses that also have fluoride. Ask your dentist or orthodontist what products are best.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontic treatment is important for several reasons. Alignment of the teeth and jaws can prevent ...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Keeping your teeth clean with braces can be difficult. The best tools to use are still a toothbrush ...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Age is usually not the major factor in planning orthodontic treatment, but of more importance is the...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...