What is tissue donation?

Every year over 900,000 lives are helped through tissue and eye donation. Donated heart valves can replace damaged ones, allowing the heart to function well again.

Special grafts help patients with spinal deformities live normal lives. Musculoskeletal tissue replaces bone, tendons and ligaments lost to cancer, severe trauma, degenerative joint disease, arthritis and other conditions. Skin can save the lives of burn victims.

Without the choice of people like you and the determination of donor families, allograft surgery would not be possible. A single donor can help up to 50 people – often many more – improve their lives. With that in mind, please designate your positive donation decision.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What is the procedure for becoming a living organ donor?
Susan M. Lerner, MDSusan M. Lerner, MD
Educate yourself. Contact the transplant center and speak with a donor coordinator to learn about th...
Which organs can I donate while I am living?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Living donation takes place when a living person donates an organ (or part of an organ) for transpla...
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
The Science of Regenerative Medicine
The Science of Regenerative Medicine