What is organ rejection?

Even with immunosuppression, the body's immune system can recognize the new liver as a foreign invader and develop immune cells, called lymphocytes, to attack it. Many patients experience some degree of organ rejection, especially within the first three to six months after transplantation. This is usually easily reversed with medications. Patients are closely monitored after transplant surgery so that warning signs of rejection can be detected early.

Organ rejection occurs when a transplanted organ is attackedby the recipient’s immune system. To reduce the possibility of rejection, doctors type the organs of donors and recipients and match them as closely as possible so that the recipient’s immune system will not recognize the transplanted organ as foreign and attack it.Recipients also receiveimmunosuppressive medications, which are very helpful in preventing rejection.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

How many people are waiting for organs?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The waiting list for organs was 98,000, as of April 2008. More than half of the people on the transp...
Can organ donation cost money to my family after my death?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
No, organ donation will not cost you or your family anything. Your family pays for your medical care...
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?