What is the National Kidney Registry?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education
The National Kidney Registry (NKR) is a database that contains the names of adults who desire to be living kidney donors in the US. The purpose is to help link these potential donors to patients who need a kidney transplant. This can shorten the waiting time for patients and help them to get a transplant before they get too sick (or even die). For more information, see www.kidneyregistry.org
Jeffrey L. Veale, MD
Urology
The National Kidney Registry is a nonprofit organization based out of Long Island whose computer software program enables transplant clinicians to match living kidney donors from across the country with people requiring kidney transplants.

About 75 transplant centers participate with NKR, and the pool of patients that the software program matches include incompatible donor/recipient pairs, and altruistic donors.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What should I do if I need an organ or tissue transplant?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Ask your physician to refer you to a transplant hospital for an evaluation to determine if you are a...
If I sign an organ donor card, will my wishes be carried out?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Even if you sign a donor card, it is essential that your family know your wishes. Your family may be...
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?