What is an organ transplant?

An organ transplant is surgery to replace an organ that is no longer working. Examples include, a lung, heart, liver or kidney transplant. During a transplant, the diseased organ is removed, and the new replacement organ is surgically placed into the patient's body. The new organ comes from a donor. In some cases, such as with a kidney transplant, the donor may be a "living donor." Other times, the donor is someone who has died, but who previously agreed to donate their organs. People who need organ transplants often wait a long time before a match is found. Even when a match is found, there is still a risk that their body will reject the organ. After a transplant, people take medication for the rest of their lives to prevent organ rejection.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

Can I sell my organs?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
No, you cannot sell your organs. The National Organ Transplant Act (Public Law 98-507) makes it ille...
Which organs can I donate while I am living?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Living donation takes place when a living person donates an organ (or part of an organ) for transpla...
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?