What is an organ transplant?

An organ transplant is surgery to replace an organ that is no longer working. Examples include, a lung, heart, liver or kidney transplant. During a transplant, the diseased organ is removed, and the new replacement organ is surgically placed into the patient's body. The new organ comes from a donor. In some cases, such as with a kidney transplant, the donor may be a "living donor." Other times, the donor is someone who has died, but who previously agreed to donate their organs. People who need organ transplants often wait a long time before a match is found. Even when a match is found, there is still a risk that their body will reject the organ. After a transplant, people take medication for the rest of their lives to prevent organ rejection.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What do I need to do to ensure my organs are donated once I die?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Many people who need transplants of organs and tissues cannot get them because of a shortage of dona...
What is the National Kidney Registry?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
The National Kidney Registry (NKR) is a database that contains the names of adults who desire to be ...
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?