What are the advantages of living donation over deceased donation?

Transplants performed from living donors may have several advantages compared to transplants performed from deceased donors:
  • Some living donor transplants are done between family members who are genetically similar. A better genetic match lessens the risk of rejection.
  • A kidney from a living donor usually functions immediately, making it easier to monitor. Some deceased donor kidneys do not function immediately, and as a result, the recipient may require dialysis until the kidney starts to function.
  • Potential donors can be tested ahead of time to find the donor who is most compatible with the recipient. The transplant can take place at a time convenient for both the donor and recipient.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

Can I use social media to let people know I'm an organ donor?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Yes! It is important to tell your friends and family your values about organ donation in case they a...
How have organ transplants progressed and improved?
PhRMAPhRMA
In the 1950s and early 1960s, patients needing an organ transplant were in a tragic bind. Transplant...
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
The Science of Regenerative Medicine
The Science of Regenerative Medicine