What is the follow-up care after organ transplant?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education

Follow up care lasts for the lifetime of the patient and the plan of care depends on the organ received. The care plan can involve biopsies (tissue sampling) and blood tests, for example. Patients should also maintain a healthy weight, and not smoke or use illicit drugs. Liver transplant patients should not drink alcohol. Patients must take immunosuppressant medication for their rest of their life -- the only exception to this is a transplant received from an identical twin sibling.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

Can I donate organs as well as my body to medical science?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Total body donation generally is not an option if you choose to be an organ and tissue donor. Howeve...
How does organ donation registration work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When you register to become an organ donor, you designate which of your organs that you wish to dona...
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?