How is the right organ found for me if I need a transplant?

The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) maintains a centralized computer network that links all organ procurement organizations (OPOs) and transplant centers (hospitals that perform transplants) and uses a complex matching system to determine if an available organ is a good match for you.

Many factors contribute to whether or not an organ will be offered to you, including, but not limited to: blood type, medical urgency, where you live (an organ must be safely transported the distance to the transplant hospital) and in some instances your weight and size compared to that of the donor.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What questions should I ask about the cost of a transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
You should ask the following questions about the cost of a transplant: Will my insurance cover t...
What is the procedure for becoming a living organ donor?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Donors are generally adults but sometimes teenagers are allowed to donate to a close relative. The p...
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?