How have organ transplants progressed and improved?

In the 1950s and early 1960s, patients needing an organ transplant were in a tragic bind. Transplants were surgically possible, but the body's immune response rapidly rejected organs donated by unrelated individuals. People either died or led greatly diminished lives.

Thanks to anti-rejection medicines that were developed in the 1960s and 1980s, tens of thousands of Americans have received transplants of a wide variety of organs and are able to prolong their lives, regain their health, and maintain their independence.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

Can organ donation cost money to my family after my death?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
No, organ donation will not cost you or your family anything. Your family pays for your medical care...
Can I donate organs as well as my body to medical science?
Total body donation generally is not an option if you choose to be an organ and tissue donor. Howeve...
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?