Why is it important to put my organ-donation wishes in writing?

If you (or a loved one for whom you might speak for one day) want to donate organs to needy recipients or be a specimen for needy med school students, put it in writing, please. You can state this intention a thousand times and everyone may know you've intended to donate your organs since you were a wee child of 10, but if even one of your relatives objects at the last minute, it likely won't happen unless there's written permission from you. Don't give your evil nephew the satisfaction of yanking away one of your last magnanimous acts.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What are Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs) are nonprofit local entities, designated by the federal gover...
Can I use social media to let people know I'm an organ donor?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Yes! It is important to tell your friends and family your values about organ donation in case they a...
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?