What should I do if I need an organ or tissue transplant?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education

Ask your physician to refer you to a transplant hospital for an evaluation to determine if you are a candidate for transplant. You must satisfy medical and psychosocial criteria, and be able to financially support a transplant. Organs and tissues are rare gifts and they must be carefully allocated to patients with the capacity to benefit from them.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What is the follow-up care after organ transplant?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Follow up care lasts for the lifetime of the patient and the plan of care depends on the organ recei...
What is organ donation after cardiac death?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
In the circumstance of devastating neurological injury or terminal illness, some patients and/or fam...
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?