Who determines who gets donated organs?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is the national clearinghouse for organ allocation. UNOS was created to maximize the limited supply of organs and give all candidates a fair chance to receive the organ they need, regardless of gender, race, religion, lifestyle, or financial or social status. It manages the national transplant waiting list, matching donors to recipients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for every transplant center in the country.
Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education
It is unethical to put discriminatory constraints on organ donation.  For example, you cannot direct an organ donation to a specific patient based on their race, gender, religion, etc.  Organs are a gift to be allocated according to clinical need.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What if I change my mind after signing an organ and tissue donor registry?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If you should change your mind after you enroll, you should tell your health-care provider and your ...
What happens if I have an episode of organ rejection?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Doctors manage a mild rejection episode by making adjustments to your medication dosages. Moderate...
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?