What are some common terms used with organ donations?

An organ donor is anyone - living or dead - who provides an organ. The person receiving the organ is called a recipient. The act of collecting an organ from a donor is called retrieval, or procurement.
Nearly anyone of age and average health can be an organ donor. People who have cancer, HIV or disease-causing bacteria in the bloodstream or body tissues, however, are exempt from organ donation. A decision about an organ's usability is made at the donor's time of death or, in the case of a living donor, during the process leading to a donation. 

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What questions should I ask about Medicare Supplements for a transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Questions you should ask when looking into Medicare Supplements for a transplant: Will this poli...
What questions should I ask about insurance for a transplant?
Questions you should ask your insurance company about insurance for a transplant include: Is the...
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?