Can I use social media to let people know I'm an organ donor?

Katrina Bramstedt, PhD
Health Education

Yes! It is important to tell your friends and family your values about organ donation in case they are asked to consent on your behalf. If you have registered to be a donor in USA, your registration will be honored without additional family consent. 

If you have not registered to be a donor but have told people about your values, your written and spoken words (your expressed preferences) can be used to guide the decision-making process. In Ireland, for example, there is a smartphone app that can be used to register for donation. In USA and the UK, Facebook can inform people about your organ donor status if you choose.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What is the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) is a database which keeps track of statistic...
How are organ donations possible?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Organs are a system of tissues and cells that perform specific tasks, such as ridding the body of wa...
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?