Are donated tissues safe?

Tissues are removed from donors by trained professionals. Once the tissues are removed, they are cleaned and processed to make sure they are safe and that they can be used in various procedures. Tissues are then sent to tissue banks for processing and distribution. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has strict rules for how tissues are removed, processed, and distributed to make sure they are not contaminated.

The risk of infection from donated tissue is very small, so donated tissues are considered quite safe. Medical professionals adhere to very strict regulations about harvesting and handling tissue for transplantation, and all tissues are tested for infectious diseases in order to prevent transmission.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What do I need to do to ensure my organs are donated once I die?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Many people who need transplants of organs and tissues cannot get them because of a shortage of dona...
What is the National Kidney Registry?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
The National Kidney Registry (NKR) is a database that contains the names of adults who desire to be ...
The Science of Regenerative Medicine
The Science of Regenerative Medicine
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?