Besides registering, do I need to inform anyone that I am an organ donor?

It's good to identify yourself as an organ donor before something tragic happens. In this video, Ronald Martin, RN, with the transplant services team at Riverside Community Hospital, says this removes the decision having to be made by loved ones.

It is a good idea to let your family know about your decision. That way, they are not surprised by the news shortly after your death. If you intend to make a whole-body donation, it is helpful to designate someone who can make necessary arrangements with the institution you have designated after you have expired.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What are my risks if I receive a donated organ?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Accepting a donor organ from another human being has several risks; the most common potential risks ...
Does every hospital have access to all organ transplants?
Ronald MartinRonald Martin
All hospitals do not have access to every organ for transplants. In this video, Ronald Martin, RN, w...
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?