Besides registering, do I need to inform anyone that I am an organ donor?

It's good to identify yourself as an organ donor before something tragic happens. In this video, Ronald Martin, RN, with the transplant services team at Riverside Community Hospital, says this removes the decision having to be made by loved ones.

It is a good idea to let your family know about your decision. That way, they are not surprised by the news shortly after your death. If you intend to make a whole-body donation, it is helpful to designate someone who can make necessary arrangements with the institution you have designated after you have expired.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What is the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) is a database which keeps track of statistic...
What is a living organ donation?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Living donation takes place when a living person donates an organ or part of an organ to someone in ...
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
How Do You Grow an Artificial Organ?
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?