Q

Organ Transplants & Health Care

Besides registering, do I need to inform anyone that I am an organ donor?

• A Nursing, answered on behalf of
    Should I identify myself as a donor if something should happen to me?
    It's good to identify yourself as an organ donor before something tragic happens. In this video, Ronald Martin, RN, with the transplant services team at Riverside Community Hospital, says this removes the decision having to be made by loved ones.
  • It is a good idea to let your family know about your decision. That way, they are not surprised by the news shortly after your death. If you intend to make a whole-body donation, it is helpful to designate someone who can make necessary arrangements with the institution you have designated after you have expired.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Does being an organ donor affect your medical care?