Should thrush lasts for weeks?

Oral thrush is a yeast infection that leaves distinctive cottage cheese-like sores on the tongue. Though they're unsightly, these sores usually clear up on their own in about two weeks. If they don't go away after a couple of weeks, it's time to call your doctor. If your baby has thrush, contact her pediatrician.

Thrush is common, especially in babies, and it's usually harmless. However, if thrush persists, it can lead to swallowing and feeding problems. If the sores don't go away, your doctor or your child's pediatrician can prescribe an antifungal medication to clear up the fungus that causes thrush.

Your dentist should examine any mouth sore that lasts a week or longer. Oral thrush, or candidiasis, occurs when the yeast Candida albicans reproduce in large numbers. It is a fungal infection. While uncomfortable and often unsightly, this will typically go away through good oral hygiene, cleaning and removing dentures at night and saliva replacement, if due to dry mouth. See your dentist if it persists for treatment.

Continue Learning about Oral Thrush

Can oral thrush be prevented?
Many cases of oral thrush can be prevented. Those who use corticosteroid inhalers can prevent the de...
How can I prepare for an appointment to diagnose oral thrush?
You can prepare for an appointment to diagnose oral thrust by making a list of your symptoms. Includ...
How do I manage my oral thrush on a daily basis?
ANSWER If you have oral thrush, good dental hygiene can help your infection heal. Brush your teeth t...
What is oral thrush?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Candidiasis is a fungal infection (also called moniliasis or oral thrush) that occurs when the yeast...