How do medications treat oral thrush?

Antifungal medications treat oral thrush by killing the fungus responsible for the condition: candidas. In those with severely weakened immune systems, many antifungal drugs may not be effective against oral thrush. In these cases, stronger drugs, like amphotericin B, may be administered via IV drip.

Oral thrush, a yeast infection caused by a fungus, is treated with antifungal drugs. Over 10-14 days, these medications kill the fungus. For best effect, swish the medication around in your mouth before swallowing it. Oral thrush affects babies and toddlers, the elderly, especially those wearing dentures, and smokers. People with weak immune systems, pregnant women, and those with uncontrolled diabetes, HIV infection, cancer, and dry mouth are more likely to get oral thrush. Medications such as birth control pills, corticosteroids, and antibiotics can increase your risk of developing oral thrush. The infection causes red or pink patches on your tongue and mouth but can spread to other parts of your body.
Controlling candidiasis, or oral thrash, means focusing on preventing or controlling the condition that causes the outbreak. If the cause is dry mouth, saliva substitutes and prescription medications may be helpful when the underlying cause of dry mouth is incurable or unavoidable.

Most often it occurs in people with weak immune systems -- the very young, elderly or those debilitated by disease, such as diabetes or leukemia. Your doctor can recommend medications you may be able to take that would not interfere with other medications you are currently on.

Continue Learning about Oral Thrush

Should I talk to my doctor about my oral thrush symptoms?
Oral thrush can spread into the esophagus and from there to other internal organs, causing a serious...
How common is oral thrush?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have dry mouth, high blood sugar levels, or if you smoke or take antibiotics, you are more li...
How can thrush be prevented?
Oral thrush (candidiasis) can usually be prevented with some simple steps:Practice good oral hygiene...
How can I prepare for an appointment to diagnose oral thrush?
You can prepare for an appointment to diagnose oral thrust by making a list of your symptoms. Includ...