A Answers (4)
American Dental Association answeredGood oral hygiene can help in preventing oral thrush. This problem is common in denture wearers. To prevent this, be sure to clean your dentures well and remove them at bed time. If the cause is dry mouth, saliva substitutes and prescription medications may be helpful.
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI) answered
Many cases of oral thrush can be prevented. Those who use corticosteroid inhalers can prevent the development of oral thrush by brushing their teeth after inhaler use. Practice good dental hygiene and see your dentist regularly, especially if you are diabetic. Eat live-culture yogurt and minimize sugars and yeasts in your diet to discourage the growth of oral thrush if you have a healthy, normal immune system. If you are pregnant, protect your newborn from oral thrush by treating vaginal yeast infections right away.
RealAge answeredOral thrush is an infection caused by an overgrowth of fungus in the mouth. You may be able to prevent oral thrush if any of the following circumstances apply to you:
- If your doctor gives you a prescription for antibiotics to treat an infection or other illness, do not exceed the recommended dose.
- If you wear dentures, make sure they fit properly.
- If you have diabetes, keep your blood sugar under control.
Joan Haizlip, MSN, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answeredSome cases of oral thrush can be prevented by following these tips:
- If you are using a corticosteroid inhaler, rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth after you use it.
- Eat fresh culture yogurt containing lactobacillus acidophilus or bifidobacterium.
- Take acidophilus capsules if you are on antibiotics.
- If you are diabetic, see your dentist regularly and use good oral hygiene.
- Avoid eating a lot of sugary foods and yeast-containing foods.
- Treat any vaginal yeast infections right away.