What increases my risk for oral herpes?

Oral herpes develops as a result of a virus, herpes simplex type 1. Once a person has the virus, he or she can pass it to others during an outbreak. If you notice someone with a cold sore, avoid any contact with the infection. Kissing or sharing personal items like silverware or lipstick with someone who has the virus increases your risk for catching it.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...
What is oral herpes?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, develop as a result of the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simplex virus ty...
Will my cold sore go away by itself?
An outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, should go away on its own in about one or two weeks. Anti...
Can oral herpes spread to other parts of the body?
It is possible to spread oral herpes to other parts of the body. Although cold sores tend to develop...