Is oral herpes contagious?

Yes, the fluid in the blister of oral herpes is the most contagious. After the blister breaks and an ulcer forms, herpes is less contagious. However, caution should always be taken as long as there is an active lesion. 

Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus, do not kiss or share personal items with anyone who has a cold sore. If you already have oral herpes, avoid physical contact with anyone until your cold sore goes away.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...
What is oral herpes?
Oral herpes is a virus that causes blisters on the lips or tongue. Transmission occurs easily th...
Where can cold sores develop?
In most cases, an outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, will develop in the lip area. However, it ...
How long do cold sores last?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, goes away on its own in about one to two weeks. Taken early, antiviral m...