How does oral herpes affect the body?

Oral herpes, or cold sores, is the result of an infection by the herpes simplex virus type 1. The virus is highly contagious, and it passes from person to person through physical contact. The virus causes an outbreak of small red sores on the skin, and even after the sores go away, the virus remains in the body. People may experience additional outbreaks of the virus from time to time.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Is a fever blister on the mouth, herpes simplex 1?
MediGuardMediGuard
Yes, a fever blister on the mouth is herpes simplex 1.  It can also be triggered by sun exposure, so...
Will my cold sore go away by itself?
An outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, should go away on its own in about one or two weeks. Anti...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...
If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?
As long as you have a cold sore, the virus is still contagious. An outbreak of oral herpes should go...