If I have oral herpes, how often will I experience an outbreak?

Oral herpes is the result of a virus, herpes simplex type 1. Even after your first cold sore goes away, the virus remains in your body and can cause an outbreak at any time. However, it is possible to manage the occurrence of additional outbreaks by avoiding activities that can cause a cold sore to develop, such as extraordinary stress and overexposure to the sun.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

What is oral herpes?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, develop as a result of the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simplex virus ty...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...
Is a fever blister on the mouth, herpes simplex 1?
MediGuardMediGuard
Yes, a fever blister on the mouth is herpes simplex 1.  It can also be triggered by sun exposure, so...
What is the difference between cold sores and shingles?
Colds sores and shingles are distinct viruses, but you can think of them as cousins since they have ...