How might a child get a cold sore?

Young children usually get cold sores from a family member.  Cold sores are usually caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus type I. When a cold sore is active it is contagious by direct contact. The first time a child gets Herpes Simplex there may be fever and multiple inside the mouth and on the lips.  This is called primary infection. As this infection resolves, the virus can become dormant. During times of stress the virus can then reactivate causing cold sores or fever blisters.  These secondary infections are usually not as severe as the primary infection.  It is during these reactivations that the virus is the most contagious. A doctor might prescribe certain antiviral medications for herpes simplex infections, depending on the age of the patient and the severity of the infection.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Will my cold sore go away by itself?
An outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, should go away on its own in about one or two weeks. Anti...
Where can cold sores develop?
In most cases, an outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, will develop in the lip area. However, it ...
If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...
Can oral herpes spread to other parts of the body?
It is possible to spread oral herpes to other parts of the body. Although cold sores tend to develop...