How long do cold sores last?

Oral herpes, or cold sores, goes away on its own in about one to two weeks. Taken early, antiviral medications can help cold sores heal in a shorter amount of time. If your cold sore lasts more than two weeks, speak to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...
What are cold sores?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cold sores -- caused by herpes virus Type 1 or Type 2 -- are contagious. The initial infection (...
Where can cold sores develop?
In most cases, an outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, will develop in the lip area. However, it ...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...