How is oral herpes diagnosed?

In most cases, doctors can diagnose oral herpes just by looking at the infection. However, your doctor may want to take a small sample of the infection to test for the herpes simplex virus. Most cold sores go away on their own in about one to two weeks, so it may not be necessary to go to your doctor at all. However, if you have frequent outbreaks, or your symptoms are particularly painful, it may be a good idea to make an appointment to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

What is oral herpes?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, develop as a result of the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simplex virus ty...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...
How long do cold sores last?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, goes away on its own in about one to two weeks. Taken early, antiviral m...
If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...