How can antiviral medications help treat my oral herpes?

Although there is no way to get rid of the virus that causes oral herpes, antiviral medications can help you manage your symptoms. As soon as you feel a cold sore beginning to develop, use an antiviral medication to ease irritation and to help your cold sore heal faster. Talk to your doctor about possible antiviral treatments.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

What is oral herpes?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, develop as a result of the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simplex virus ty...
If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?
As long as you have a cold sore, the virus is still contagious. An outbreak of oral herpes should go...
If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...
What is the difference between cold sores and shingles?
Colds sores and shingles are distinct viruses, but you can think of them as cousins since they have ...