What are the best treatments for cold sores?

Knowing your personal triggers is key to preventing and controlling the virus’s actions. Usually, people feel a tingling sensation at first, and that’s when it’s important to have a remedy on hand to help control its severity. Antiviral prescription oral medication and topical creams are available; your individual protocol will depend on how frequently you get cold sores. The creams don’t work nearly as well as the antiviral meds. If you have more than five episodes a year, you can take suppressive therapy every day.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Will my cold sore go away by itself?
An outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, should go away on its own in about one or two weeks. Anti...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...
If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?
As long as you have a cold sore, the virus is still contagious. An outbreak of oral herpes should go...
What are cold sores?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cold sores -- caused by herpes virus Type 1 or Type 2 -- are contagious. The initial infection (...