If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot on your body. You may, however, get a different type. The common example is that if you have cold sores, which are most often herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1, you are still susceptible to getting genital herpes from HSV type 2. Your doctor can confirm which type of herpes simplex virus you have with a blood test.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Is a fever blister on the mouth, herpes simplex 1?
MediGuardMediGuard
Yes, a fever blister on the mouth is herpes simplex 1.  It can also be triggered by sun exposure, so...
How long do cold sores last?
Oral herpes, or cold sores, goes away on its own in about one to two weeks. Taken early, antiviral m...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Herpes simplex, the virus that causes oral herpes, is contagious. To prevent catching the virus,...
What are cold sores?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cold sores -- caused by herpes virus Type 1 or Type 2 -- are contagious. The initial infection (...