If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot on your body. You may, however, get a different type. The common example is that if you have cold sores, which are most often herpes simplex virus (HSV) type 1, you are still susceptible to getting genital herpes from HSV type 2. Your doctor can confirm which type of herpes simplex virus you have with a blood test.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Is a fever blister on the mouth, herpes simplex 1?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
If you suffer from cold sores, you are not alone. However, cold sores are not related to the common ...
Is oral herpes contagious?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Yes, the fluid in the blister of oral herpes is the most contagious. After the blister breaks and an...
If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?
If you have a cold sore, it will be highly contagious the entire time it is visible. It will be ...
What are cold sores?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Despite their name, cold sores aren't connected to colds -- they're just more likely to happen w...