If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?

As long as you have a cold sore, the virus is still contagious. An outbreak of oral herpes should go away in about one or two weeks. During this time, do not kiss or share personal items with anyone to prevent spreading the virus.

If you have a cold sore, it will be highly contagious the entire time it is visible. It will be most contagious when fluid begins to leak from the blister or blisters that have formed. This fluid contains the infectious virus that causes cold sores. When you have a cold sore, don't share anything that touches your lips, such as cutlery, dishware, or towels. And if you happen to touch the cold sore, wash your hands right away.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

What are cold sores?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cold sores -- caused by herpes virus Type 1 or Type 2 -- are contagious. The initial infection (...
Where can cold sores develop?
In most cases, an outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, will develop in the lip area. However, it ...
Will my cold sore go away by itself?
An outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, should go away on its own in about one or two weeks. Anti...
What is the difference between cold sores and shingles?
Colds sores and shingles are distinct viruses, but you can think of them as cousins since they have ...