Can oral herpes be prevented?

Oral herpes develops as a result of the herpes simplex virus type 1. Since the virus is contagious, you should take steps to prevent infection. Do not kiss or share personal items with anyone who has a cold sore. If you already have the virus, be aware of things that can bring on an outbreak, like stress or overexposure to the sun.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

Where can cold sores develop?
In most cases, an outbreak of oral herpes, or cold sores, will develop in the lip area. However, it ...
Is a fever blister on the mouth, herpes simplex 1?
MediGuardMediGuard
Yes, a fever blister on the mouth is herpes simplex 1.  It can also be triggered by sun exposure, so...
If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...
If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?
As long as you have a cold sore, the virus is still contagious. An outbreak of oral herpes should go...