Are there alternative treatments for oral herpes?

In addition to antiviral medication, other alternative treatments can help ease symptoms during an oral herpes outbreak as well. Reduce irritation by cleaning the cold sore with water and soap and icing the area. Over-the-counter pain medications and ointments like lidocaine or benzocaine can help ease pain, too. Above all, try not to touch the cold sore so that it is able to heal.

Continue Learning about Oral Herpes (Cold Sores)

If I have cold sores, does that protect me from genital herpes?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Once you have one type of herpes, you will not get that same type of herpes in a different spot ...
What are cold sores?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cold sores -- caused by herpes virus Type 1 or Type 2 -- are contagious. The initial infection (...
If I have a cold sore, how long is it contagious?
As long as you have a cold sore, the virus is still contagious. An outbreak of oral herpes should go...
What is the difference between cold sores and shingles?
Colds sores and shingles are distinct viruses, but you can think of them as cousins since they have ...