What is hypromellose?

Hypromellose is used in a number of medications that provide artificial tears to relieve eye dryness and irritation. It is also used to moisten artificial eyes and contact lenses. It is available in many over-the-counter products as a gel or liquid solution. Hypromellose is also the generic ingredient in many prescription drugs that are used for more serious problems or for eye surgery or examinations. Dosage depends on the condition and the type of product used.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about using nedocromil eye drops?
Nedocromil (Alocril) eye drops are used to relieve itching, watering and burning associated with all...
How does hypromellose treat dry and irritated eyes?
Hypromellose is found in many over-the-counter eye drop products and prescription medications. Its p...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...
What is the difference between Zymar and other eye drops?
Zymar is an antibiotic that is administered as an eye drop and formulated to kill various bacteria t...