What is hypromellose?

Hypromellose is used in a number of medications that provide artificial tears to relieve eye dryness and irritation. It is also used to moisten artificial eyes and contact lenses. It is available in many over-the-counter products as a gel or liquid solution. Hypromellose is also the generic ingredient in many prescription drugs that are used for more serious problems or for eye surgery or examinations. Dosage depends on the condition and the type of product used.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
Do any other drugs interact with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you are taking methotrexate, NSAIDs can lead to serious side effects and should be avoided. If y...
Are there any non-drug substances that can interact with NSAIDs?
People who take aspirin should not receive chickenpox vaccine. If you take an NSAID, you should be ...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...