What is fluorescein?

Flourescein is a dye used intravenously (IV) or topically to make abnormal features of the eyes easier for the doctor to see. Your doctor may use a test called fluorescein angiography to examine the blood vessels in the retina and the choroid of your eyes. This test uses a special camera, a blue light and IV fluorescein dye. It also helps the doctor see any foreign bodies in this part of the eye. The choroid is the layer of blood vessels that supplies the inner eye with nutrients. Flourescein can be administered topically to the eye to detect cornea damage. The cornea is the eye’s outer surface.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about Tobradex eye drops?
Tobradex eye drops are used to treat eye infection and inflammation by combining the antibiotic tobr...
Are there any non-drug substances that can interact with NSAIDs?
People who take aspirin should not receive chickenpox vaccine. If you take an NSAID, you should be ...
How does Pataday treat allergic conjunctivitis?
Depending on your symptoms, you may wish to use Pataday in addition to other allergy medications. Ta...
What should I know about cellulose eye drops before using it?
Side effects of cellulose eye drops include: temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity, eyelash st...