What should I know before taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you take an NSAID, you should be cautious about drinking alcohol.

The risk of side effects of NSAIDs is greater in older people. If you are over 65, you should not take indomethacin, and you should avoid long-term use of any NSAID.

It is not known if diclofenac is safe or effective for children.

NSAIDs can cause severe, potentially fatal bronchospasm in people with aspirin-sensitive asthma. People with aspirin-sensitive asthma should not take NSAIDs.

If you have a bleeding or platelet disorder, you should not take aspirin.

NSAIDs increase the risk of blood clots, heart attack, and stroke, which may be fatal. This risk increases with length of NSAID use. 

If you have had a peptic ulcer, gastrointestinal bleeding, heart failure, or impaired kidney function, an NSAID may not be a good option for you.

If you have high blood pressure, an NSAID may not be a good option for you. 

If you have impaired liver function, NSAIDs can lead to serious side effects.

If you have a psychiatric condition or Parkinson disease, indomethacin may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning a pregnancy, an NSAID may not be a good option for you. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women. You should not take an NSAID during the last trimester of pregnancy.

NSAIDs may be passed into breast milk and may not be a good option for breastfeeding women.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about Tobradex eye drops?
Tobradex eye drops are used to treat eye infection and inflammation by combining the antibiotic tobr...
How effective are NSAIDs at treating migraines?
NSAIDs reduce moderate to severe migraine pain to mild pain within 2 hours for about 50% of people, ...
How do I use olopatadine eye drops?
Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1 percent, Pataday 0.2 percent) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve...
What should I know about Tobradex eye ointment?
Tobradex eye ointment is used to treat eye infections and inflammation by combining the antibiotic t...