What is balanced salt solution?

Balanced salt solution (BSS, BSS Plus) is a sterile fluid used to irrigate ocular tissue during surgery. This solution is only administered by a surgeon during an ocular procedure and is not for consumer use. Balanced salt solution is used in many ocular surgeries, including vitrectomy, phacoemulsification, cataract extraction, lens aspiration and more. Comprised of calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, dextrose, glutathione disulfide, hydrochloric acid and water, balanced salt solution is isotonic to ocular tissue and contains electrolytes needed for normal cell metabolism.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about Tobradex eye drops?
Tobradex eye drops are used to treat eye infection and inflammation by combining the antibiotic tobr...
How effective are NSAIDs at treating migraines?
NSAIDs reduce moderate to severe migraine pain to mild pain within 2 hours for about 50% of people, ...
What is the difference between Zymar and other eye drops?
Zymar is an antibiotic that is administered as an eye drop and formulated to kill various bacteria t...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...