Can I take olopatadine if I am breastfeeding?

Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1%, Pataday 0.2%) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve itching, redness, irritation, tearing and lid swelling (allergic conjunctivitis) caused by seasonal allergies, hay fever and pollen sensitivity. It treats eye allergies by blocking histamine, a chemical triggered by the immune system during allergic reactions.

Olopatadine has been found in the milk of nursing rats following oral administration. It is not known whether administering the medication in the eye could result in enough of the medication being absorbed in the body to be found in breast milk.

As with all drug use during pregnancy, the benefits should outweigh any risk to both you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

How does hypromellose treat dry and irritated eyes?
Hypromellose is found in many over-the-counter eye drop products and prescription medications. Its p...
What should I know before taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you take an NSAID, you should be cautious about drinking alcohol. The risk of side effects of NS...
What should I know about cellulose eye drops before using it?
Side effects of cellulose eye drops include: temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity, eyelash st...
How effective are decongestants?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The two most common nasal decongestant sprays, oxymetazoline (Afrin) and phenylephrine (Neo-Synephri...