What are the side effects of sulfacetamide?

The most frequent side effects of sulfacetamide eye drops or ointment include: stinging, irritation and burning of the eye. They also can cause inflammation or redness of the eye, new infections of the eye and other bacterial or fungal ulcers in the cornea of the eye. The most common side effects of skin preparations are redness, itching and swelling at the site where they are used. Allergic reactions of any severity also can occur with sulfacetamide. All sulfonamides are associated with an increased risk of several rare, but very serious and potentially fatal, side effects. They include two skin disorders: Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis. There also is the risk of fulminant liver necrosis and certain blood conditions, including agranulocytosis and aplastic anemia. If any of the following symptoms occur, you should tell your doctor immediately, because they may signal the presence of one of those conditions: persistent nausea, vomiting, weakness, tiredness, stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin, loss of appetite, dark urine, painful/swollen joints, fever, new cough, easy bleeding/bruising, sudden weakness, pale skin and fast breathing.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about using nedocromil eye drops?
Nedocromil (Alocril) eye drops are used to relieve itching, watering and burning associated with all...
How do I use olopatadine eye drops?
Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1 percent, Pataday 0.2 percent) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve...
What should I know about cellulose eye drops before using it?
Side effects of cellulose eye drops include: temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity, eyelash st...
Do any other drugs interact with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you are taking methotrexate, NSAIDs can lead to serious side effects and should be avoided. If y...