What are the risks of using tetrahydrozoline eye drops?

There is little risk in using tetrahydrozoline. This over-the-counter drug has few side effects and does not typically cause serious problems. However, tell your doctor if you become pregnant or are breastfeeding. It is not believed that this drug affects the fetus. It should be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding only when the benefit outweighs the risks. It is not known if this drug is passed in breast milk. If you have an eye disease or infection, high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism or heart disease, these conditions may be complicated by this drug.

You may not be able to wear contact lenses soon after using the medication. You should wait at least 15 minutes after using tetrahydrozoline before inserting your contact lenses. Do not use this product longer than recommended - beyond 48 to 72 hours - without talking with your doctor. Long term use of tetrahydrozoline may damage the blood vessels in the eye. This drug can interact with certain medications, so make sure to talk about other medications you are taking with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about cellulose eye drops before using it?
Side effects of cellulose eye drops include: temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity, eyelash st...
Are there any non-drug substances that can interact with NSAIDs?
People who take aspirin should not receive chickenpox vaccine. If you take an NSAID, you should be ...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...
What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...