Why do I need to use nepafenac before and after cataract surgery?

If you are planning to have cataract surgery your eye doctor will likely prescribe nepafenac (Nevanac) or a similar type of drug to prevent eye pain, redness and inflammation (swelling) associated with cataract surgery.

Typically, the drops are started one day before and continue a few weeks after cataract surgery. One day before surgery you will apply one drop in the eye having the surgery, three times a day. Then you will continue applying the drops for two weeks or more after your surgery. Your doctor will assess your healing and decide how long you will need to apply the drops.

Since it is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) you should let your doctor and pharmacist know if you are allergic to any other NSAID, such as aspirin, diclofenac (Voltaren), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn) or tolmetin (Tolectin), before taking nepafenac.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know about using carboxymethylcellulose eye drops?
Carboxymethylcellulose eye drops are intended for people with dry eyes or eye irritation. If you suf...
How does Pataday treat allergic conjunctivitis?
Depending on your symptoms, you may wish to use Pataday in addition to other allergy medications. Ta...
What should I know about Tobradex eye drops?
Tobradex eye drops are used to treat eye infection and inflammation by combining the antibiotic tobr...
What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...