What should I know before receiving ranibizumab?

Before starting ranibizumab (brand name Lucentis) injections, which is used for the eye condition called macular degeneration, among other things, you should know the following:
  • Getting injections into the eye (called intravitreal injections) could cause inflammation and infection within the eyeball, called endophthalmitis. It could also cause retinal detachment, which is when the retina tears away from the eyeball.
  • The pressure within your eyeball may go up after getting an injection with a drug like ranibizumab. If this happens, it usually occurs within the first hour after the injection.
  • You may find that your vision is abnormal for a time after your ranibizumab injection. Until these visual disturbances have gone away, you should not drive or use machinery.
  • Ranibizumab and other drugs in its category (VEGF-A antagonists) can put you at a higher risk for strokes and other problems caused by blood clots.
  • If you are thinking about using this drug as a long-term treatment for your age-related macular degeneration, you should know that scientists don't know if it's safe and effective to use it for longer than two years.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...
How effective are NSAIDs at treating carpal tunnel syndrome?
NSAIDs have not been found very effective for the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. They are not r...
What should I know about using nedocromil eye drops?
Nedocromil (Alocril) eye drops are used to relieve itching, watering and burning associated with all...