How do I use tobramycin and dexamethasone?

How you use tobramycin and dexamethasone (TobraDex), a combination drug for treating eye infections, will vary slightly depending on whether your doctor prescribed the eyedrops or the eye ointment. However, the basics are the same:
  • Make sure your hands are clean before using this medication.
  • Tilt your head back and gently pull your lower eyelid down, creating a pocket.
  • Put the prescribed number of drops, or a small amount (about 1/2 inch) of ointment, into the pocket. Be careful not to touch your eye with the tip of the bottle or tube.
  • If you used drops, close your eye, and keep it closed for two to three minutes. If you used ointment, keep it in place for one to two minutes by looking downward before closing your eye.
Follow any other directions from your doctor or the package insert.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What should I know before taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you take an NSAID, you should be cautious about drinking alcohol. The risk of side effects of NS...
What should I know before taking tetrahydrozoline eye drops?
Tetrahydrolozine is intended for people with red, sore, irritated or dry eyes. If your eyes are irri...
What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
How are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used for the treatment of RA?
NSAIDs, such as aspirin, have been used for many years to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Their mai...