How do I use olopatadine eye drops?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1 percent, Pataday 0.2 percent) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve itching, redness, irritation, tearing and lid swelling (allergic conjunctivitis) caused by seasonal allergies, hay fever and pollen, dust and animal dander sensitivity. It treats eye allergies by blocking histamine, a chemical triggered by the immune system during allergic reactions.

How to apply olopatadine eye drops:

• Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water
  • Avoid touching the dropper tip to any surface including your eye and keep the dropper tip down to avoid sucking in any contaminants
  • Tilt your head back and pull your bottom eyelid down to create a pocket
  • Squeeze and drop the prescribed number of drops into the eyelid pocket
  • Press lightly against the lower lid with your finger and hold for a couple of minutes without blinking
  • Replace and tighten the cap without contaminating the tip
  • Wash your hands after you are finished

If you miss a dose of olopatadine, take it as soon as you remember. If it is very close to the time you are expected to take the next dose, skip the missed one and continue with your regular schedule. Don't take two doses at once.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

Are there any non-drug substances that can interact with NSAIDs?
People who take aspirin should not receive chickenpox vaccine. If you take an NSAID, you should be ...
What should I know before taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you take an NSAID, you should be cautious about drinking alcohol. The risk of side effects of NS...
What should I know about cellulose eye drops before using it?
Side effects of cellulose eye drops include: temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity, eyelash st...
How does Pataday treat allergic conjunctivitis?
Depending on your symptoms, you may wish to use Pataday in addition to other allergy medications. Ta...