How is pegaptanib (Macugen) given?

Pegaptanib (Macugen) treats neovascular age-related macular degeneration (wet macular degeneration) a leading cause of irreversible vision loss where the blood vessels leak into the macula of the eye. Pegaptanib is a vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) antagonist that works by blocking abnormal blood vessel growth. It is injected into the eye by an ophthalmologist once every six weeks. Before the medicine is injected, your eye will be cleaned with a sterile solution and a numbing agent will be placed in the eye so you will only feel a little discomfort from the pressure but no pain.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
How do I use olopatadine eye drops?
Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1 percent, Pataday 0.2 percent) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve...
What should I know about using carboxymethylcellulose eye drops?
Carboxymethylcellulose eye drops are intended for people with dry eyes or eye irritation. If you suf...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...