How does Eylea treat wet age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD)?

Eylea (aflibercept) is injected into the eye to treat neovascular age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD). It works by blocking the effects of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a substance that promotes the growth of new abnormal blood vessels in the retina that can damage the macula -- the part of the eye that makes it possible to see things sharply and clearly in front of you. Wet AMD can make it hard to read, drive, recognize faces or do close work, such as knitting; eventually it can lead to severe vision loss. Eylea injections can reduce the symptoms of wet AMD and slow down its progression, but it won't cure the condition.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
What should I know before taking tetrahydrozoline eye drops?
Tetrahydrolozine is intended for people with red, sore, irritated or dry eyes. If your eyes are irri...
What is the difference between Zymar and other eye drops?
Zymar is an antibiotic that is administered as an eye drop and formulated to kill various bacteria t...
What should I know about Tobradex eye drops?
Tobradex eye drops are used to treat eye infection and inflammation by combining the antibiotic tobr...